We’ve all heard the stories of the rich & famous having the strangest of superstitions, why they have them we’ll never really know.
Axl Rose has a bizarre superstition with the letter ‘M’, he refuses to play any city beginning with the scary ‘M’. Christian Bale likes going against superstitions and will walk ‘under’ a ladder when he sees one. Our sports heroes are the same, if a little weirder.
David Beckham will never wear the same pair of boots twice, tennis star Goran Ivanisevic had a strange superstition of having to get up from his chair on the change-over and would try to never step on any of the lines. Off the court, he was even worse. If he won a match at a tournament, he would repeat everything from the previous day – go to the same restaurant, eat the same food and try to talk to the same people. Strange!
NBA stars are no different!
Jason Terry – Dallas Mavericks
Mavericks guard Terry has ‘some’ of the weirder superstitions in the league and has never really made any secret of it, in fact he has made one of them public (see above). ‘Some’ being the important word in the previous sentence, Terry has a few…
* Jason will ALWAYS eat chicken before a game.
* He ALWAYS wears 5 pairs of socks…..FIVE!!
* The night before EVERY game, he will wear the the opposition teams shorts while sleeping in bed. He has a kit manager at Dallas who always makes sure he has the right shorts. Players have been known to give him shorts too.
While we’re talking shorts……..
MJ had one of the most illustrious careers of any sports. Six championships to his name, one of the most iconic ‘brands’, not only within the sport but also for youth of the 90′s all the way to now. He also had a famous superstition…
* MJ, before his pro career lead the University of North Carolina to the NCAA Championship finals. Once he was traded into the NBA he believed the mesh in the shorts of his former UNC uniform would bring him luck. He wore the shorts underneath every uniform he wore throughout his whole NBA career. It’s alleged he wore longer shorts to hide the UNC shorts underneath, it’s believed he is behind the trend of players wearing extra long shorts.
Dwight Howard – Orlando Magic
Dwight might not be the weirdest but is definitely up there with some of the sickest superstitions.
* Dwight HAS to take a dump just before walking out on the court. He has been quoted as saying that if he doesn’t “drop a deuce or two” he just doesn’t feel right.
Thanks Dwight. Charming!
Next superstition is just downright ridiculous…..
Caron Butler – Los Angeles Clippers
Most of our sports idols will drink a sports drink (Gatorade/Powerade) before or even during games, not old Caron Butler.
* Caron would down the ultra caffeinated Mountain Dew soda before AND during games. He wouldn’t have just a ‘normal’ 600ml bottle of Mountain Dew either, while at college and while at Miami Heat he would smash his way through a whole 2 litre bottle of the stuff. He would drown a half of the bottle before the game and then at halftime ‘re-up’ with the second half.
Caron came out as being ‘addicted’ to the fizzy-green, and even posted this video on youtube to his fans to show that he was making the effort of giving it up. Not that he had any choice, while at Washington Wizards team management tried to put a hold on it by telling Caron he was banned from drinking it.
Here is the ‘quitting the Dew’ video from youtube.
…and last but not least
Lebron James – Miami Heat
Most people who have a TV regardless of them being either an NBA fan let alone a sports fan would have seen superstar Lebron’s ‘ritual’ of chalking his hands and then in dramatic fashion blowing it all up into the air. It has been given an airing in slow-mo on numerous commercials and magazine cover stills.
* The weird superstition Lebron has that not most people know is that he has a special handshake for each individual member of his team. Apparently, if he doesn’t perform these handshake, he just doesn’t feel “at peace with himself”. Sounds odd!
Nobody has ever proven that superstitions work, and obviously in sport they don’t mean much as all players end up losing. It sure is entertaining for us fans to read these ego-centric stars, nit-picking, worrying, and just downright obsessing over the weirdest things. It all adds to the character of these stars, and I’m all for it!